Monday, November 24, 2014

A New Commandment- John 13:34-35

How can others know if we are disciples of Jesus Christ? (John 13:34-35)
"A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another. By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.”

As I read these scriptures, the principle I thought of was that if we love one another, we will radiate the light of Christ and others will know Him. This reminded me of a story that one of the Sisters in Relief Society shared this past Sunday. 


She said that when her son was in kindergarten, some thirty years ago, there were three other children who were members of the Church, along with him, in their class. The teacher was not a member, but she could see how these children were different and how happy they were- she could see His light illuminating from them. There was something there, something more that these children had and, she wanted to know more, so she began looking into The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. She soon became a member. It was because of their love for one another, that she was converted. They brought her to Jesus Christ, simply by loving one another.

As a disciple of Jesus Christ, how might one respond in the following situations, in accordance with this "new commandment"given us? (John 13:34-35) 
  • Someone you know is ridiculed or made fun of because of the way he or she dresses. As a disciple of the Savior, I would ask why they feel they should judge someone for the way they dress. I would then provide comfort that explain that it is not what we are wearing but who we are that matters. Elder Oaks of the Seventy, once said,"The real person is the one who will stand before the all-knowing Lord on Judgment Day. The Lord will see quickly into our hearts and discern who we really are.” (Apr 2003
  • You see a new person at church. As a disciple of Jesus Christ, I would approach the new person and make them feel welcome and see if there was anything that they needed or that I could do to help them feel more comfortable. I would make sure they knew who to contact should they need anything and give them my contact information. One of the many things I love about the Church is that, no matter where you are, you can attend Sacrament Meeting and the other Sunday meetings and will always feel welcomed- always feel that you are home. 

Do people know that I am a disciple of Jesus Christ by the way I treat them?
I sure hope so! As do the small children I had mentioned earlier, I believe that we do radiate the light of Christ and that people can tell that we are disciples of our Savior. That may not know exactly what that light is that they see, but they know that we love them as Christ loves us all. I hope that as I serve others, they feel His love through me. 

Children's Hymn: "Love One Another" (Hymn 308)
As I have loved you,
Love one another.
This new commandment:
Love one another.
By this shall men know
Ye are my disciples,
If ye have love
One to another



There is a family member I have in mind, whom I will show the kind of love the Savior would show over the coming week (and for weeks to come). Below is a short list of the things I can do to show this love for them:
  • Pray for them
  • Show compassion
  • Show them understanding
  • Show them kindness
  • Be patient
  • Serve them
  • And, most importantly…love them


No comments:

Post a Comment