Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Paul's Second Mission- Acts 16; 18

During Paul's second missionary journey, he and his companion, Silas, traversed through many cities including Ephesus, Philippi, Corinth, Thessalonica and Macedonia.  The Holy Spirit was a close companion during their travels.

How did the Holy Spirit help Paul and his companions during their journey?

As we read Acts 16:6-10, we can see how the Holy Spirit guided and protected Paul and his companion. They were given warnings, and received visions that helped direct them in their mission. Though their faith, they were able to heed the warnings and follow the promptings so that they might the do the Lords works. 
  • They were given warnings- “..forbidden of the Holy Ghost to preach the word in Asia” (Acts 16:6)
  • They followed promptings- “And a vision appeared to Paul in the night; There stood a man of Macedonia, and prayed him, saying, Come over into Macedonia, and help us.” (Acts 16:9
  • They acted on faith- "Then spake the Lord to Paul in the night by a vision , Be not afraid, but speak, and hold not thy peace: For I am with thee, and no man shall set on thee to hurt thee...” (Acts 18:9-10)

How has the Spirit directed my missionary efforts?

I believe that we are all full-time missionaries, and reading these accounts of Paul’s missions brings to mind a personal experience I had recently. One afternoon, I was returning to my car after running some errands. As I opened the door, I was approached by a woman, who immediately started saying “You don’t have to speak with me if you don’t want to,” and "I understand if you don’t want to look me in the eye- others haven't.” As she spoke, I had a warm feeling move through my body and I knew the Spirit was prompting me to see what she needed. I greeted her and could see the gratitude that someone had finally spoken to her. She explained that she and her husband were going through some rough times, and that she’d been trying to get someone to help her buy some groceries. 

There wasn’t a grocery nearby but there were several restaurants, so she asked if I’d buy her something to eat. We decided on one, and she told me she would meet me there, as I was putting some things in my car. While I drove over, I called my husband, who was expecting me, and explained the situation and the feeling I’d had that I should help her. We both knew that I was being directed by the Spirit. 

She ordered something for herself and something to take back to her husband. I waited with her as her food was being prepared. While we sat together, we talked about her situation and what had brought them to their current situation. I left her with a hug and a prayer that all would be well. 

Each day, I prayer to be aware of promptings such as these; to know what the Lord wants me to do; to know how I can serve Him today.  By accepting these promptings and acting on them, I am hopeful that I will become even more aware and that others will see the light of Christ in me.

How did Paul turn his experiences into missionary opportunities?
Paul was a very observant and faithful servant. He never forgot why he was here and the service he was asked to do. He had one goal in mind, and that was to live by the commandments and covenants he’d made and to bring every soul he could to Jesus Christ. 

What can I learn from Paul’s missionary experiences? 
I can learn from Paul that we are going to go through trials, and that life isn’t always going to be easy, but if we take everything as it comes and put our faith in God, we will endure. He has given us the Holy Spirit to guide and protect us, and He will never leave us alone, as long as we are worthy.

How is the jailer an example of a true convert?
He cried out to Paul and Silas, "Sirs, what must I do to be saved?” (Acts 16:30)  There came a crucial moment, the jailer believed and he felt the power of the Spirit and he knew he must change his ways and come unto the Lord.

How does Mosiah 4:9–10 expand your understanding of Acts 17:30–31?
Since the day I was baptized, just over two years, along with the covenants I made, I have made a commitment to myself that I would strive to live in a constant state of repentance. Our time here is limited and we never know when the day will come when our Heavenly Father will call us home.  On that day, I will be ready and worthy to stand before Him. 

In Acts 17:30-31, we are reminded of the commandment of repentance and the importance, come judgement day. We must not procrastinate, for we know not when this day will come.

As we read Mosiah 4:9-10, we are reminded  to “Believe in God” and “...that we must repent of your sins and forsake them.” To me, these scriptures are very powerful and should be read often to remind us who God is and why we are here.

What can I do now to better prepare myself to share the gospel?
To better prepare myself, I must commit to live by the commandments that were given us, and to honor the covenants that I’ve made. I must love and serve Jesus Christ and my fellow brothers and sisters and our Savior loves us. If I do these things, everything will fall into place and others will see the light of Christ in me and want to know more.





No comments:

Post a Comment