Monday, February 9, 2015

Baptism- Romans 6

What must be done with sin before baptism can occur? 

Before we can be baptized unto Christ, we must humble ourselves and repent of our sins. In a talk given to missionaries at the Provo MTC in June 2000, Elder Jeffrey R. Holland shares“... true repentance, repentance which shows our desire to be clean and renewed and whole, repentance that allows us to lay claim to the full blessings of the Atonement. Then comes baptism for the remission of sins." (Missionary Work and the Atonement)

What events from Christ’s life are symbolized in baptism? During baptism:
“We are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life” (Romans 6:4)
"For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death , we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection” (Romans 6:5)

Considering this symbolism, why couldn’t someone be baptized by sprinkling? 
When we are fully immersed during baptism, we are symbolizing the death of our past life and leaving the sins behind. As we come out of the water, we are born again into a new spiritual life in devoted to serving our Lord. Baptism also symbolizes the death and resurrection of our Savior. (See Romans 6:3–6”Then shall he immerse him or her in the water, and come forth again out of the water“ (D&C 20:73–74)

What do these verses teach us about how we can maintain the “newness of life”? 
In answering this question, two scriptures stand out, "For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God. Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord."(Romans 6:10-11) As we leave our past lives and sins behind and emerge from the waters from baptism as pure disciples of Christ, we must dedicate our mortal and eternal lives to serving our Savior and Father. To me, as I partake of the Sacrament each week, I renew my covenants so that I might carry that “newness of life” with me as I share His light with others.

According to Mosiah 3:19, what part of us would ideally die at baptism? 
During baptism, the part of us that is subservient to the natural man dies and we devote our lives to serving our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ (Mosiah 3:19)

How do we know who we serve and what is the true source of freedom? (Romans 6:14–23On November 10, 2012, when I emerged from the waters of baptism, having left my past behind and knowing that my sins were forgiven through the Atonement, I felt much lighter and free from the bondage of mortal man. I hadn’t realized how much my past had been holding me back from my true purpose for being here. I know that there were things I needed to do to bring me to where I am today and choices I needed to make for God’s plan to bring my husband (my personal missionary) into my life. As I go forth, with my husband by my side, and we serve the Lord, we know where we are going and have our eternal goal in sight. "But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness , and the end everlasting life. For the wages of sin is death ; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.” (Romans 6:22-23)

No comments:

Post a Comment