Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Solutions to Life’s Challenges, as Found in the Scriptures- Philippians 1-4

How did Paul counsel the Philippians in resolving these common challenges? 

People sometimes argue and complain over petty matters in church meetings or throughout the week- We all have a specific part to play in our Fathers' Plan. And, we all have supporting roles, made up of callings and tasks that allow us to humbly serve the Lord and fulfill these callings. Sometimes, our callings and tasks may seem daunting when we look at our calendars and our other responsibilities, (at least they can for me), and I think this is why I might “murmur” sometimes. Paul’s advice in Philippians gives me the opportunity to step back and take that breath I so often need, which keeps me from arguing and complaining:

  • He taught that we should love and show compassion for one another; (Philippians 2:1)
  • he taught that we should respect one another for we are of one mind, of one Spirit; (Philippians 2:2)
  • he taught that we should not have disputations between one another; (Philippians 2: 3)
  • and, he taught that we should “shine as lights in the world.” (Philippians 2:15)

Many youth feel that their parents’ testimony is sufficient for them. Since they have good parents, they rely on them for all their spiritual strength- It’s funny how our children don’t want to take our advice on some of the things we’ve done, and insist on making the same silly mistakes, but would think that our testimony is sufficient for them. I often think, (and I know my husband does too), that I would love for our children to avoid some of the trials and pains of life, by living by our experiences. But, I also know that they must “work out their own salvation.” (Philippians 2:12) Believing in Jesus Christ is not enough. Growing our testimony and working out our own salvation is a lifelong commitment and we cannot sit idly by and expect it to happen on its’ own or for someone to do it for us. We must actively serve Him and continue to grow and learn. 

I was raised Catholic, and when I was a little girl, I remember my Granddad going to Mass on Christmas Eve and on Easter Sunday. That was it. So, I thought that when I got older, I would be able to go to church a couple of times a year and I’d be good. But it doesn’t work that way, does it? When I was eighteen, I stopped going to church. I believed in God and Jesus Christ and had my faith, but didn’t feel I needed to go to church. I also felt that something was missing in my life. Fast forward to today…I am now a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and my husband and I are very active in our Ward. I read the scriptures daily, and I can feel the Spirit in my life, leading me, (leading us) to those whom He would have us serve. My life has changed and my testimony continues to grow as I work out my own salvation. 

This is something that we cannot do for someone else. 

An investigator is considering joining the Church, but his family will no longer associate with him if he does- 
It is very hard for anyone to feel that they are feeling abandoned by a family member, but it would be much harder to feel abandoned by the Lord. As a recent convert, I knew that there were many in my family who might do exactly that, but I did not let that hinder my decision. Of course, it may have been easier for me because of my age, or because my husband and his family are all members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, who all supported me. On the other hand, I know that my sons, who are both return missionaries and my husband, all experienced investigators who fought this battle. This is a hard decision to make, but if we to the Spirit for guidance and the scriptures for answers, we will know what to do.  We have seen many: prophets, apostles, disciples, and missionaries, who have given up everything to follow the Savior, including Paul.

"Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ.” (Philippians 3:8)


How is this writing assignment an example of the principle taught in 2 Nephi 32:3? Each week, before I post to my blog, I pray that the Spirit will be with me to guide me and to speak through me so that I might teach and share my thoughts with others. If we listen to the words of the Spirit, we will learn what Christ wants us to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment